Any point in *not* writing about Apple?

On a hunch, I would have to say the answer is probably no — headlines about the Apple developer event and speculation about what might be announced already fill up a third of a page or so at Techmeme, and Steve Jobs hasn’t even taken the stage yet. The TechCrunch gang started their live-blogging with a video of them getting lost on their way to the Moscone Center (hey, Mike — eyes on the road, buddy), and Jason Chen at Gizmodo seems to have gone a little loopy already because of the smell in the center, which he describes as “like a San Francisco bus smell”:

“a mixture of sweat, urine, desperation, more urine, just a little feces, saliva, Apple fever, bald dudes, a cupful more of urine, and urine.”

If you just can’t survive without a constant stream of Apple-related news and commentary, then the Scobleizer has some links he thinks you should hit and VentureBeat writer MG Siegler of ParisLemon has set up a FriendFeed room for live-streaming the keynote. Or you can always try out some Twitter-based tools as well, for that “totally immersed” feeling: Summize is tracking Apple-related terms (Warning: I left the site for about two minutes, and when I came back it said there were 763 new results). The excellent site Twistori is also tracking mentions of Apple and related words in (close to) real time. Namaste.

1. Mark Dykeman wrote::

But wouldn't it be fun if Microsoft or Google sneaked out something today in an attempt to upstage Apple?

Unlikely to happen, but fun to ponder.

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 12:43 pm #
  2. JoeDuck wrote::

Where are you following the news? TechCrunch was doing a great job but now appears down – at least to me in Oregon?

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 1:25 pm #

I'm a big fan of Gizmodo when it comes to this stuff — auto-refreshes
    and good coverage as well. Nothing too fancy, just bullet points,
    some impressions and some photos.

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 1:28 pm #
  4. JoeDuck wrote::

TC up and doing play by plays…

Matt – I'm still pissed at Gizmodo for making other CES bloggers look like the juvenile pranksters they were at that show, though I think you and I were twitter arguing about that back then as you were enjoying it ….

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 1:57 pm #

Yes, I remember that — I still think it was kind of funny :-)
    Ironically, the Gizmodo coverage seems to be relatively
    straightforward and business-like, with the odd piece of commentary,
    while Engadget is tossing in editorial comments all over the place
    about how the demos are “crazy boring.”

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 2:03 pm #
  6. JoeDuck wrote::

The Gizmodans may fear the kind of retaliation they could expect from the Apple faithful worshipping at the iPhone MacAlters. They would beat and then bury the pranksters with a pile of GSIIs, Nexts and old iPhone carcasses, then cover their tracks with Qik videos from other locations.

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 7:15 pm #
  7. StevenHodson wrote::

for 99% of the bloggers out there I don't imagine there is really any point in posting anything due to the Apple noise – call it a blogger's long weekend.

*YAWN*

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 1:26 pm #
  8. Mark Evans wrote::

I like how you climbed on the Apple bandwagon by trying to stay off the bandwagon. Sort of like writing a post about the demise of comments in which you hope that people will leave comments. :)

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 2:51 pm #

Thanks — yes, I thought that was very clever of me :-)

Monday, June 9, 2008 at 2:58 pm #