Can OpenX compete with Google?

Interesting news from Kara Swisher at the BoomTown blog, that former Yahoo executive Tim Cadogan is taking the top spot at OpenX — the open-source ad server company that used to be called OpenAds (and before that was phpads). As Kara notes, Cadogan was involved in the launch of Yahoo’s much-ballyhooed Panama ad search product, and before that he was at GoTo.com. His inaugural blog post is here.

OpenX is an interesting story. It is clearly going after medium-sized to large-scale Web publishers (including TheStreet.com and TechCrunch) that are looking for an alternative to the behemoth that is Google/Doubleclick, and the fact that OpenX is open source makes it appealing as well (the company also recently launched a private beta for a new hosted version). Google has its own similar ad serving software, called Google Ad Manager, but that’s hardly much of an alternative.

I think there are probably lots of publishers out there who are leery of entrusting everything to the Great Google, no matter how un-evil it might be, and are looking for easy (and cheap) alternatives to joining this or that ad network. If OpenX can be the friendly alternative, it could go a long way towards making a business for itself — and it doesn’t have to kill Google to do it, it just has to chip away a little bit of market here and there. Being a strong second or third is perfectly acceptable.

1. n8k99 wrote::

Let's just prepend random words with the newest marketing buzzword; OpenFascism, OpenLies, and even OpenGreed and more people will be willing to buy it.

Sorry it's so tangential!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 2:13 pm #

Yeah, I'm still trying to get into the OpenGreed private beta, but no
    luck so far :-)

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 2:16 pm #
  3. n8k99 wrote::

i hear that one is exclusively restricted to members of Greed1.0 and PoliticsAsUsual.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 7:05 pm #
  4. Leigh wrote::

A lot of ad serving companies are concerned over Google cutting them out of the middle (since most media sites and agencies use doubleclick anyhow).

I think Open X has huge potential to be successful……..

Wednesday, April 9, 2008 at 4:23 pm #
  5. Markus wrote::

Has anyone benchmarked OpenX and Trafficspaces?

I need to make a choice between the two. I’m familiar with OpenX but my client pointed me to http://www.trafficspaces.com and it looks pretty awesome.

Anyone got any feedback to share?

Monday, November 9, 2009 at 8:07 pm #
  6. Markus wrote::

Has anyone benchmarked OpenX and Trafficspaces?

Anyone got any feedback to share?

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 at 2:07 am #

Trackback/Pingback (1)

1. Can OpenX compete with Google? | Adslang Blogger on Monday, July 14, 2008 at 12:15 pm

[…] mathewingram.com addthis_url = ‘http%3A%2F%2Fblogger.adslang.com%2Fcan-openx-compete-with-google%2F’; addthis_title […]