Gmail colours: Is this really news?

I know that pretty much anything Google does is worthy of comment — and not just a little comment, but a ton of comment — but isn’t all the hubbub about coloured Gmail tags just a little over the top? I mean, I’m a big fan of Google and of Gmail, but still. Adding coloured tags? I know that Fred Oliveira thinks it’s a big deal, and MG Siegler at ParisLemon seems similarly excited, but still. Colour me unimpressed. What’s next — a storm of blog posts when Digg decides to change the shape of its buttons to a modified trapezoid instead of an oblate spheroid?

1. fred wrote::

Well, my post wasn't really a “me too”, but I used the gmail labels metaphor to guide designers and developers as to how visual cues can help make sense of in a web application. The feature itself is quite small (heck, it's even the title of my post), but it's definitely not earth shattering – so in that sense, I agree with you.

PS: if you could change the spelling of my last name to Oliveira, I'd appreciate it (it confuses Google, because a lot of people do it) :-)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 9:27 am #

Damn — sorry about the misspelling, Fred. I know I hate it when
    people do that to me too. I will change it right away.

As for your post, I think your points about the benefits of colours
    make total sense. I think it's a useful feature.

I guess I just found the Techmeme cluster about it a little comical, that's all.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 9:44 am #
  3. fred wrote::

No problem about the spelling, Mathew :-) Thanks!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 10:00 am #
  4. MG Siegler wrote::

Not only am I excited, I LOVE this update, much more so than the other recent Gmail updates. As my inbox gets more and more crowded I found myself wanting more than just the star to differentiate between things and the plain labels all seemed to blend together – this is a great solution because Google gives you the option of using both the loud background color labels and the more subtle text color labels.

I know a lot of these small Google updates get a ton of hype only to never be talked about 2 days later, but I really do love this one.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 1:02 pm #

MG, I think you may actually need professional help :-)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 1:43 pm #
  6. MG Siegler wrote::

Ha ha, I don't doubt it.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 2:09 pm #
  7. Alex Beamish wrote::

I noticed it this morning. It smells to me like a solution looking for a problem.

I'd be much more interested in a way to group folders together (as Google Reader does) so that I don't have to scroll or page down to see all of my 80+ folders.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 1:59 pm #
  8. MG Siegler wrote::

Alex – if you read Google's official post, it sounds like they are working on something just like what you are suggesting.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 2:10 pm #

Me too, Alex. There was a hint at the bottom of the Google post that
    they're thinking about folders apparently — or at least want us to
    think that they are :-)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 2:12 pm #
  10. Frederic wrote::

Guilty as charged – though I thought the excitement was more about the “we might do something with folders” announcement at the end of the post than the colors.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 2:19 pm #

Yeah, just wait till that actually happens — then you'll see a real
    blog storm on Techmeme :-)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 2:22 pm #
  12. fred wrote::

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 2:27 pm #

Damn — sorry about the misspelling, Fred. I know I hate it when
    people do that to me too. I will change it right away.

As for your post, I think your points about the benefits of colours
    make total sense. I think it's a useful feature.

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 2:44 pm #
  14. fred wrote::

No problem about the spelling, Mathew :-) Thanks!

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 3:00 pm #
  15. MG Siegler wrote::

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 6:02 pm #

MG, I think you may actually need professional help :-)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 6:43 pm #

they're thinking about folders apparently — or at least want us to
    think that they are :-)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 7:12 pm #
  21. Frederic wrote::

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 7:19 pm #

Yeah, just wait till that actually happens — then you'll see a real
    blog storm on Techmeme :-)

Tuesday, December 4, 2007 at 7:22 pm #