The TTC does the right thing

When I first heard about the YouTube rap video “I Get On The TTC,” which a couple of Toronto rappers recorded recently about the venerable — and much criticized — Toronto Transit Commission, I was really hoping that the TTC wouldn’t blow it by either ignoring or somehow trying to de-legitimize the video. I thought the fact that TTC commissioner Adam Giambrone is (as far as I can tell) about 19 years old might help them get with the “user-generated content” program, and for whatever reason it looks like that is in fact the case. According to a post at Torontoist, the duo got a call from Toronto officials, and wound up being honoured by Mayor David Miller and Giambrone, who played the video and even danced along, and then gave the two a free January Metropass. And some props are also due to Mayor Miller for the shout-out to “Spadina Bus,” the 1980s hit from The Shuffle Demons.

1. Ruth Seeley wrote::

So is the TTC going to post it on its web site? Get a blog? ;) It's a great song.

Thanks for the reminder about The Shuffle Demons – love those guys – downloading their 2004 Greatest Hits album as soon as I finish this post.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 12:26 am #

I think they should make it the official TTC anthem :-)

Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 12:42 am #
  3. Ivor wrote::

A small historic irony here is that, if I recall correctly, the TTC expressly forbade the Shuffle Demons from shooting their music video on the Spadina bus, which explains why the video has them bopping up and down on the curb instead.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 3:49 am #

And apparently the I Get On guys didn't ask permission to film at all, they just did it — which Mayor Miller actually congratulated them for, according to Torontoist.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 9:28 am #
  5. Scott wrote::

Nice news! It's good to see people thinking.

Thursday, December 18, 2008 at 10:37 am #
  6. Brian Gilham wrote::

It's great to see the TTC being so open and receptive to project from the community. I can't help but think it's all thanks to Giambrone. I hope it's a practice that will continue.

Friday, December 26, 2008 at 1:12 pm #
  7. goFigure wrote::

I certainly don't understand how ttc schedule works. If Route 11 does print out a schedule for a frequence 10 min per bus, why there is no bus comes at all for 30 minutes. The service provided by Route 11 really sucks..!

Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 4:26 pm #
  8. goFigure wrote::

Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 9:26 pm #

1. karimkanji (Karim Kanji) on Wednesday, December 31, 1969 at 11:59 pm

Seems TTC and T.O. are finally getting it! – http://tinyurl.com/4v3e74

2. alannamarie (Alanna Tedesco) on Wednesday, December 31, 1969 at 11:59 pm

wish I had rapped about the ttc…free metropass! http://bit.ly/vsOv

3. The TTC Has a Sense of Humour | Ignorant Mouth on Tuesday, March 3, 2009 at 8:37 pm

[…] While the ATU were out waving their fists on the streets of Ottawa for the better part of two months, the people of the city must have wished they lived in Toronto, where apparently the powers that be have a sense of humour. […]